Answered By: Brendan Johnson Last Updated: Jun 13, 2018 Views: 69
Discover for Canvas is a tool that connects the library’s Discover database and catalog with Canvas. It helps library staff create reading lists that are cleared for copyright and able to be shared among courses. Lists can link to full text articles, e-books, e-journals, scanned book chapters, and print book records.
How do I get a list in Discover?
Submit your reading list to the SJU library staff via email to email@example.com. We will assemble your list for you following our copyright procedures. Once it is ready for copying we will help you copy it to your course.
What technology do I need?
Make sure to use Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox. Safari and Internet Explorer only work intermittently.
How do I copy my list once it’s ready?
1. Navigate to your Canvas course.
2. Click “Modules” from the left sidebar and select a module, or create a new one, where students can access this list.
3. Click the grey “+” on the right-side of the module next to the gear button to open the Add Item box.
4. At the top of the box, open the dropdown menu that reads “Assignment” and select the “External Tool” option.
5. Select “Discover: Discover Reading Lists by EBSCO” and scroll down to “Page Name” to name your list. Click “Add Item” when finished. (We recommend naming by official course ID/instructor like ABC 140_Lastname)
6. Click the list name to open the tool.
7. Select “See Current Reading List”
8. Select “Import from Existing List”
9. Browse the second menu called All Public Lists and select your course’s list
10. Check all and click Copy Selected Readings
11. You should now see all your course readings on your list.
How do I see the student view of my list?
Navigate to your course's Home page and click the Student View button on the right sidebar. Then navigate to Modules and find your list.
Drag and drop items into order by clicking the box around the item and holding down the mouse.
Click Add Folder
Name and save your folder
Move each item to the appropriate folder using the drop-down menu.